July 9th 2014

03public consultationThe leaflet / questionnaire on housing needs for the neighbourhood plan was outlined. It was pointed out the SDC funding for neighbourhood plan work was not clear and Peter Richards he would clarify this. The parish map registration has been done.

Jan 14th 2015

Neighbourhood Plan – this could give some control over future developments and there will be a public meeting soon for villagers to express their views.

March 11th 2014

Neighbourhood Plan update. It was a successful day with lots of comments, thanks to the team for organising this. However, the turnout was only 10%, so the views are not necessarily representative of the whole parish. A consultant is now needed for professional advice and 2 days of this are free from WALC. Details of grants are on the locality website.

May 13th 2015

Neighbourhood Plan - there was a low turnout for the open day and more forms need to be filled in to make the findings valid. This will happen at the Jazz Picnic, the Plant Sale and other events. The map for possible housing sites was shown. It was pointed out that Hatton Rock and Grove Fields are also potential sites for housing, not just within the village itself. The map only shows suitable sites not what people actually want, many people do not want any more housing in the foreseeable future.

July 8th 2015

04public consultationThe distribution and collection of questionnaires to households, and to individuals at different events including the Jazz picnic, has now been completed. The next stage will be directed towards a) an improved effort to obtain the opinions of the business community and b) starting the process for applying for a grant/award to cover the costs incurred in the preparation of the plan. The ‘Expression of Interest Form’ for registering on-line with the organisation that makes the awards (Locality) has been done. It is proposed to make arrangements through WALC to discuss the details of the plan process with its Planning Consultant in order to identify the costs for which it would be appropriate to request a grant’.

Sept 9th 2015

In another written submission, Councillor Main clarified this. The N P Group was set up as a working group who would report back to the Parish Council. The Parish Council will then vote on the draft report.

Therefore there is no need for anyone on the N P group to be a voting member. It is the Parish Council who votes on it.After the Parish Council vote, it will be put to residents to be voted on.

Good progress has been made since the collection of opinions from residents on suitable development sites was completed. These questionnaires have been analysed and discussed by the Group. The next stage is for us to identify key issues. It is our intention to consult with residents on the question of possible sites for Housing in the village in the near future.

Contact with local businesses. We are preparing to follow up our initial contact with local businesses by visiting each business in our designated area individually, by appointment. We will be using a questionnaire based on those issued by Bidford and Welford. This document is in the preparation stage.

Project Plan. The Project Plan is a working document which lists the stages and tasks to be carried out in order to complete the preparation of the Plan

11public consultationAnalysis of questionnaires and identifying key issues. A first glance shows up the problems and pleasures of living in Hampton Lucy. Among the problems appear to be Overdevelopment, Traffic volume and speed, Disappearance of hedges and loss of countryside, Loss of suitable walks for dogs for older people, Parking at the school. Over and over again people expressed their delight in living in such a beautiful place. This analysis will be the prime method of identifying key issues and, once identified, will be addressed in the Draft Neighbourhood Plan, to be submitted and approved by the Examiner.

Grant from Locality. An Expressions of Interest form has been completed by Sue on line. We can now apply for a grant from Locality. Usually this grant is awarded within two months. It is not possible to spend any money in advance. We have discussed our need for money to complete our Plan and have tried to estimate the amount needed, for such items as Consulting fees, setting up a website, photography, stationery, printing costs, and expenses incurred when engaging with the Business community The grant will cover up to six months and we cannot claim for money retrospectively so, at the moment, we are making sure that all our preparations are completed so that we will be able to surge ahead on receipt of our grant. It is possible to make an application for another grant in the future.

Web site. It was decided to have our own domain name so that any specialists and outside agencies can gain quick access to our NP information. We hope there will be a link from the Parish website to the Neighbourhood Plan.

Identification of suitable sites for development. At the moment SDC have indicated a requirement for 7 more houses. Residents at the last Open Day, gave an indication of where more homes might be built, subject to the willingness of landowners to release land and to the assessments made by the outside agencies, such as Highways, Severn Trent, etc, as to their suitability. It must be pointed out that the spots put on certain sites on the map of the village do not represent just how many people voted for certain sites but indicate that certain sites had been suggested as possible development sites.

15public consultationOpen Days. It is proposed to hold an Open day in the Village Hall to provide information to residents and to listen to their suggestions. The Draft NP will be presented to the PC and the community for approval. After a six-week formal consultation period the Plan will go to Stratford District Council.

Nov 2015.

We were very pleased to hear last week that we had been offered a grant of £4,834 from Locality in order that we may proceed with work on the Neighbourhood Plan and produce a Draft Plan to be submitted to Stratford District Council in June 2016.

I would like to thank Cathy and Sue personally, and on behalf of the Community, for all the hard work they undertook to complete our application.

The next steps to be undertaken are the printing and distribution of the Business questionnaires and the distribution of a questionnaire to the community. These questionnaires are very comprehensive and cover such items at Green Spaces, Village policies, Flooding, Transport, Parking, the Environment and any other concerns residents and businesses might wish to raise. In order to ensure that we have maximum returns we need help to complete this task. It is proposed that every door should be knocked, residents and businesses given a questionnaire and that these should be collected personally. If anyone can spare a few hours to help in this task please contact Sue Main or Jackie Williams.

We will shortly be working with consultants, Mr. Neal Pearce and Mr. Simon Purfield, to gather all the evidence given by the community to devise policies and to produce the final Plan. The community will be fully informed, via the Neighbourhood Plan website and a public meeting, and involved at every stage.   We have Kate Evans to thank for the production of our domain. Kate will be sending all our documents and results of the questionnaires to the website and we thank her for her hard work in ensuring that we are connected. Thanks to Simon Dobson for his help.

The Project Plan and timetable will be available on the website and through posters and the Grapevine so that every resident is fully informed.

09public consultationJan 2016

We had a very fruitful meeting with our Planning consultant, Neal Pearce, just before Christmas.   He examined our proposed questionnaires to go out to the residents and the businesses in our area and he approved of both of these documents, with some minor changes.   Since we did not receive any offers of help to distribute the questionnaires at the last PC Meeting we explored methods which had been used by other NP groups, such as asking the local postman to help, asking certain key residents to distribute a few each and to collect them in later, or using Royal Mail to post them.   A final decision will be made on the method of distribution and collection at our meeting next week.   Members of the NP group will distribute the Business questionnaires very shortly.

The meeting with Neal was the first of several at which he will advise us on the production of the NP. These consultations have been paid for out of our grant from Locality.   We briefly discussed the writing of our policies and also his availability and willingness to make an assessment of suitable development sites in the village.   He took our map showing all the red dots where residents thought there could possibly be room for some development.   He will examine each site put forward at the public meeting and assess them as to their sustainability and possibility of being considered suitable by SDC Planning department.   He will carry out this exercise some time in February.   We must remind ourselves that, because we have 25 houses under construction, we only need to find sites for another seven dwellings for the next fifteen years.

Now that the Christmas celebrations are over we hope to make rapid progress over the next few months.   We will continue to keep the residents up-to-date on the village website.   There will, of course, be a public meeting to discuss the NP and collect everyone’s comments and suggestions, in the Spring.

March 11th 2016

The Neighbourhood Plan Group has consulted local businesses within the neighbourhood area through the distribution and collection of a business questionnaire, and site visits, including a visit to the NFU. The results of the questionnaire are currently being analysed.

Under the Community Rights Programme funded by the Department for Communities and Local Government, the Parish Council received a grant of £4,834 to cover the costs incurred up to 31st March in preparing the neighbourhood plan. Those funds that have not been allocated by that date will be returned. The Neighbourhood Plan Group will be reviewing the costs that are likely to be incurred up to the end of September in preparation for a further grant application in the next financial year.

13public consultationThe drafting of the residential questionnaire, referred to in earlier reports, should be finalised early next week, and it is now expected that they will be printed and distributed in April.

May 11th 2016

There was a brief update from Jackie Williams. The NP group has not met recently as it has been waiting for the result of the second application of a grant from Locality. The next stage of the process will be to consult with the community and all who connect with the community.  This will be through the process of a detailed questionnaire to every household and local businesses and, secondly, to invite people to join small groups to form and write up policies which will help to protect the community in the future.

July 13th 2016 – Neighbourhood Plan overview and update

15public consultationThe Localism Act 2011 included legislation for local communities to produce a Neighbourhood Development Plan which is a new grass roots tier for the planning system, which, when adopted will become a legal document carrying significant weight when planning decisions are made.

Hampton Lucy has been designated a Category 4 Local Service Village because of our limited facilities in the village based on whether a village has a school, a shop etc. This requires us to have no more than 8% of the 400 homes in the parish which is a total of 32 houses. Following the Charles Church development we are expected to provide a further 7 houses between now and 2031.

To ensure that it becomes a legal planning requirement, it‘s essential that it is community led, so the Parish Council asked for volunteers from the community to establish a steering group to raise awareness and to get the community on board.

We initially sent out a questionnaire to collect information and our findings were:-

  • 39% felt that there should be no new houses at all.
  • 41% thought that the village needed a maximum of 10 houses.
  • The majority of people wanted houses with 2 to 3 bedrooms, in traditional styles, in keeping with the village architecture and not a typical suburban estate.
  • There was a demand for Shared Ownership / Local Occupancy and First Time Buyer homes.
  • The majority also wanted new houses scattered around the village rather than in one place.
  • Charles Church then came into place ignoring all of these findings because we had no way of enforcing this and this is why the NP is so important, the information that we are currently gathering will be taken seriously.

Evidence

We are currently in the preparation stages of the plan; this is a long process which involves collecting as much data as we can from the residents in the parish to use as evidence to form the policies. We are expected to show evidence that we have achieved this through questionnaires, open days and mood cards:-

17public consultationWe have completed 2 questionnaires and the final much more complex one is going to print. The NP gives us the chance to be specific not only on the location of new houses but also their size, design and height.

We can also create policies on much more than just housing, such as the protection of important community facilities like the village hall, pub, views and green spaces, conservation, transport and the promotion of new facilities like cycling routes and renewable energy.

We also delivered a business questionnaire and interviewed businesses in the parish.

The previous open day included a map exercise to establish where residents thought the future housing sites should be located and the 8 potential sites were established.

Meanwhile we have employed a planning consultant who independently and impartially assesses the sites for their suitability, and their availability. This will include sustainability appraisals and strategic environmental assessments with Severn Trent, National Grid, Warwickshire County Council (WCC), Highways and SDC.

The point of the exercise is to marry up the views of the residents and the views of the consultant to find the best possible locations for the remaining 7 houses that we are expected to accept. It has also been recommended that we also have a reserve site in case the core strategy changes.

Writing the Plan (Policies)

12public consultationThe final questionnaire will be delivered very soon and the results will be deciphered and assessed by an independent consultant, we will then be expected to write policies based on a strong evidence base and these policies will form the draft plan and proposals, identifying any key issues, visions and objectives. The policies will be displayed in a final open day for public consultation allowing residents to either accept or reject them.

Once the plan has been written we must include a formal 6 week consultation period to publicise the draft plan and then consider any responses. We are currently in the process of having a website built which will publicise the plan to everyone who lives, works or carries out business in the parish and it will also be an important evidence base for the Examiner to use.

Independent Check

We then submit the draft plan to SDC with all of the supporting evidence. SDC then publicise the proposals for a further 6 weeks and invites comment. After which the Draft Neighbourhood Plan would be submitted to examination. An Independent examiner is appointed and paid for by SDC and the appointment must be agreed with the Parish Council based on a specific criteria.

Community Referendum

The SDC will then publish the examiner’s report and if the examination is successful, then a referendum will be held (Yes another one so soon) and the Parish will have the opportunity to vote on the Plan.

If 51% vote in favour of the Plan it will be adopted, SDC will then publish it’s decision to ‘make’ the plan and we must make the final plan available for inspection for a further 6 weeks whereupon it will form part of the statutory development plan for the area and along with adopted Local Plan it will then provide basis any planning applications and appeals. It is a long process and most plans take well over two years to produce.

Funding

We have received grants from locality which have allowed us to pay for the independent Site Assessment Consultant, a Questionnaire Assessment Consultant and a Website Designer.

If you would like to get involved with the writing of policies your input would be greatly appreciated, we need manpower and skills to write these policies This is an unprecedented opportunity to make our voice heard through the production of a binding set of planning policies, giving us the control over which sites are allocated and what they should look like. It helps us to deliver real, tangible, benefits for our area such as homes for local people and the protection of open spaces for future generations. It can also facilitate community cohesion through tackling local issues and aspirations which may otherwise be overlooked by SDC.

How it works from now

  • Deliver the final questionnaire and analyse the findings
  • Writing the Plan (policies)
  • Independent check
  • Community referendum
  • Plan is adopted

Sept 14th 2016

The questionnaire that is to be delivered to every household within the Parish in order to seek everyone’s views on their aspirations and how they would wish the parish to develop in the future is now being finalised and will be going to print within the next two weeks.

In addition, it is proposed that a Housing Needs Survey for Hampton Lucy should be sent out at the same time, as the results from this survey will also inform the neighbourhood plan. The neighbourhood plan group met Sarah Brooke-Taylor from the Warwickshire Rural Community Council (WRCC) which is an organisation that can provide advice and practical support in helping local communities to assess the local need for new homes, usually through a Housing Needs Survey, and the arrangements for distributing both the questionnaire and survey were discussed and agreed.

A meeting will be arranged within the next month with the volunteers who have agreed to help with the distribution and collection of the questionnaires.